Note: The April 1, 2020 SARA meeting is cancelled due to the Covid-19 situation. We are moving the planned April program to the May, 2020 meeting. No meeting, no Jake’s on April 1. No joke!
May 6, 2020, from 7:30-9:00 PM
Venue: Saratoga Fire Station (see Meetings below). Pre-meeting at Jake’s.
Topic: The County’s new credentialing system.
The April meeting is about the County’s new credentialing program. Two things will be addressed.
(1) a brief discussion on SARA’s new Groups.io list, which currently focuses on new hams and/or experienced hams who still consider themselves beginners. The Groups.io also gets most heavily into emergency communications. We hope that it will be expanded later to include HF.
(2) a lengthier discussion on the county’s new credentialing program, why Saratoga-affiliated hams should consider getting their Type IV credentials and how the groups.io can help you get your credential.
If you’ve looked into the credentialing program and you’re ready to get some items checked off, bring them to the meeting. One of us will help you through that process. If you have questions about the meeting beforehand, you can contact us through groups.io, which is part of the point of the list!
All of this assumes, of course, that the meeting will occur, which is questionable given the Covid-19 situation. Stay tuned!
Presenters: Brent Hailpern (N2CJN), Jeff Walker (N6ADE) and Peter Melhus (AA6PM)
You’ll recognize the three presenters as among the leaders of SARA. They have also progressed the furthest towards achieving their Type IV Communicator credentials from the County. Come to the meeting and learn from their experiences!
Everyone should have the following frequencies programmed into their VHF/UHF radios. A complete list of all county frequencies and local jurisdictions can be found at this link.
|Channel Name||Resource Name||R/S||Frequency||Offset||PL|
|Tactical Alt 2||Simplex||146.595|
Read All About Us
- Our brochure contains an overview of our club’s history, member interests, net, meetings, activities, and how you might become a member. If you would like to become a member, please complete our membership form and mail it to: Saratoga Amateur Radio Association, P.O. Box 2034, Saratoga, CA 95070.
- Facilitate scientific education and knowledge of radio engineering and communication skills by providing training, reference materials for self education and operating practice;
- Provide voluntary noncommercial communication, particularly providing emergency communication as a public service and without any remuneration; and
- Promote amateur radio by facilitating the exchange of information, improve individual operating efficiency and strengthen the welfare of amateur radio in the community.
- Meetings are normally on the first Wednesday of each month at 7:30 pm.
- Location is at the Saratoga Fire Station, located on 14380 Saratoga Avenue at the corner of Saratoga-Sunnyvale and Los Gatos-Saratoga Roads, in Saratoga. Map
- Prior to the meeting we have dinner at Jake’s of Saratoga Restaurant located at 12175 Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road (and Prospect Road). Map. We usually meet around 6:00 p.m. Someone will be monitoring the repeater while we are at dinner so check-in and say “Hi” if you are on your way.
- We strongly suggest you bring your 2M HT in case you have difficulty finding the meeting. If you have difficulty finding the meeting, please contact someone on the club repeater.