February 1st, 2023, Meeting Plans
Our February 1st meeting via Zoom will cover “How to be Useful During an Emergency” thus will utilize a variety of ARES/RACES forms required for an activated emergency scenario. Steve Steps will lead the PowerPoint presentation, assisted by Peter Melhus and Jack Griswold.
We will further discuss preparation for upcoming drills, training, forms required, and getting proper county credit for such efforts. Obtaining Credentials will be also emphasized.
Discussion of interest in any other aspects of the club activities will be encouraged.
January Summary of Events:
More interaction is needed between SARA and the Saratoga CERT members. A joint county CERT drill was performed at the Quinlan Community Center in Cupertino on January 21st. Over 200 folks were there! Several SARA members attended. It was an excellent in-person review session. It “knocked the cobwebs” out of the minds of many attendees.
Discussions have been held about finding a possible alternative in-person venue since the fire station has been using our usual meeting room for storage. Suggestions were made for the Saratoga Foothill Club or the Joan Pisani Center. Will be investigated.
We need more fully trained and certified Credentialed members.
Join our Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 408 621 5853
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,4086215853#,,,,776520# US (San Jose) +13462487799,,4086215853#,,,,776520# US (Houston)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 408 621 5853
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kccgF6zVUZ
******** Next Monthly Meeting will be held on Wednesday March 1st, 2023*********
NOTE: After receiving input from many members, we have decided that we will NOT be having in-person meetings at the fire station (or any other venue) until further notice due to lack of interest/attendance due to the ongoing Covid19 threat. The meetings will continue only via Zoom.
Topic: K6SA’s Zoom Meeting on March 1st, 2023, at 7:30 PM. Subject and Speaker: Yet to be determined
*** Annual Club Dues: ***
With inflation compounded with equipment replacement costs, Zoom, GoDaddy, and governmental fees rising substantially, we have found it necessary to collect annual dues once again. This will be twenty ($20) dollars for an individual or thirty ($30) dollars for a family membership. NOTE: If you paid in November or December of the prior year, you will be credited for the next year. Please help keep our club strong. As of January 31st, 23 members have paid. Thanks!
Current Member Payment
For current members, there is no need to reregister. All one must do is make a dues payment. You have two payment options:
Option#1; pay by submitting a check written out to SARA and mail it to our Saratoga mailbox; SARA, P.O. Box 2034, Saratoga, CA 95070. Be sure to write your callsign(s) on the check!
Option#2; Make a direct payment using our PayPal account at https://PayPal.me/saratogaamateurradio. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the PayPal form where you can enter your name and callsign(s).
New Member Payment and Registration
For new members, please scroll down to the “Read All About Us” section below and use the link to the Membership form. Please print, fill it out, then mail it in. Sorry, but online registration is not available at this time. Payment can be done by either by mailing a check written out to SARA, P.O. Box 2034, Saratoga, CA 95070 or via our PayPal link: https://PayPal.me/saratogaamateurradio . Your new membership will keep you as active on our email distribution list. Help keep our club strong. Thanks.
The recent “Fun with NanoVNA” presentation (December 7th, 2022) has been uploaded to this website for public viewing. See this page. There are also many of the past several years of presentations available. Got to the Reference tab and simply click on it. Do NOT use the Dropdown. Simply click on Resources tab which will change the entire page displayed. Then scroll down to the bottom of the new page to see the subject list and links to each document. Feel free to download and/or print them. Enjoy!
- Sundays – 2M Net at 9:00 pm on K6SA repeaters
- Tuesdays – SVECS 2M Net at 8:00 pm on AA6BT at 146.115 MHz + 100 Hz.
- Thursdays – Rag Chew/Question and Answer session at 9:00 pm on K6SA repeaters
Everyone should have the following frequencies programmed into their VHF/UHF radios. A complete list of all county frequencies and local jurisdictions can be found at the ARES-RACES website at this link.
|Channel Name||Resource Name||R/S||Frequency||Offset||PL|
|Tactical Alt 2||Simplex||146.595|
Read All About Us
- Our brochure contains an overview of our club’s history, member interests, net, meetings, activities, and how you might become a member. If you would like to become a member, please complete our membership form and mail it to: Saratoga Amateur Radio Association, P.O. Box 2034, Saratoga, CA 95070.
- Facilitate scientific education and knowledge of radio engineering and communication skills by providing training, reference materials for self-education and operating practice.
- Provide voluntary noncommercial communication, particularly providing emergency communication as a public service and without any remuneration.
- Promote amateur radio by facilitating the exchange of information, improve individual operating efficiency and strengthen the welfare of amateur radio in the community.
- Our current officers are Jack Griswold; President, Steve Steps; Vice President, Michael Turner; Secretary, and Allison Cassidy; Treasurer and our board members Peter Melhus, Morris Jones, Don Steinbach, Jeff Walker, and Walter Spector.
- Meetings are normally on the first Wednesday of each month at 7:30 PM. As of June 8th, 2022, they may be In-Person (depending on member requests) as well as available via Zoom. However, with Covid19 still lingering amongst us we will default to Zoom.
- The In-Person location is at the Saratoga Fire Station, located on 14380 Saratoga Avenue at the corner of Saratoga-Sunnyvale and Los Gatos-Saratoga Roads, in Saratoga. Map
- Prior to the meeting, we often have dinner at Jake’s; a Saratoga Restaurant located at 12175 Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road (and Prospect Road). Map. We usually meet around 6:00 PM. Someone will be monitoring the K6SA repeaters while we are at dinner so check-in and say “Hi” if you are on your way.
- We strongly suggest you bring your 2M HT in case you have difficulty finding the meeting. If you have difficulty finding the meeting, please contact someone on the club repeater.